Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Morning ...And The Consequences of A Noisy Blender

Well, my little scheme for enjoying a Sunday morning smoothie kind of fizzled out, didn't it? :)

Honestly, I love the idea, but I also love the peace and quiet I get when I'm the only one up on weekend mornings...my blender, on the other hand, thinks that if IT has to be woken up at 7:00 AM on a Sunday morning, then EVERYONE has to wake up at 7:00.

It's very, very...VERY loud.

So this morning, when I woke up (first...yeah!), I really wanted a smoothie, but we were all up past our bedtimes last night and the man and the child needed to catch up on sleep. They don't drink coffee. I do. Sleep? Schmeep! Just pour me another cup, Martha! So I started looking around for something quick, but good and different...something that would be a splurge, but not extremely decadent, like oh, I don't know...Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy? Nah, that's not decadent at all.....

Luckily, I remembered a pancake recipe I came across on Allrecipes recently - Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal Pancakes. Oatmeal's good for you, right? :) Actually, it's not a bad recipe, nutritionally, and I replaced the eggs with egg substitute to further improve it. I wish I had taken pictures while they cooked, but alas, the dogs, Martha and Merlin, and the human child had awoken....they are a tag team, you know. One distracts while the other two maneuver within snatching distance. So I sort of had my hands full! Some of the reviews on Allrecipes indicated the pancakes were thin...not so here! Not sure if it was the egg substitute instead of eggs, if that makes any sense, or the fact that I do not know the meaning of "until just blended" and I mixed the crap out of my batter, but then let it sit while I refereed a game of touch football between two dogs and a 4 year old in the dining room. Whatever mystical chemical reaction happened in my kitchen this morning, it resulted in very thick, beautiful, golden brown pancakes that, when topped with melted raspberry preserves and a few banana slices, looked like this:

The pancake recipe, which you can find HERE, only calls for a teaspoon of sugar, so the cakes themselves are not very sweet at all...a good thing if you're going to microwave some fruits preserves and drizzle them all over. Chocolate syrup wouldn't be bad, either! I mean, it would be bad, but in a good kind of way...I can picture this as a birthday special request breakfast or maybe a morning after sleepover breakfast with maybe chocolate chips in the batter, a dollop of marshmallow fluff and some chocolate syrup...

See, I knew I'd lead myself back to Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy!

Which reminds me! I am flattered to receive this from The Ordinary Housewife:
and

It was she who introduced me to Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy on her blog - make sure you stop by and visit her if you're not already a regular like me!

I'm horrible at doing this, but I do want to share these with a few other blogs:

First my new bloggie buddy, Angeltastic at Full Circle...she's not only a friend, but she's like a blood relative to me. Probably because...SHE IS! Her mother and my mother are sisters! Yes, I have mentioned my sweet cousin before, perhaps when I had a little too much to drink at a certain cocktail party at my dear friend, Willoughby's place, This Stop Willoughby. So, stop by her brand new blog and say hello to "Beth" (not her real name, she just likes to be called that...tee hee!).

I also wanted to mention Bella Della - she lives on a farm that to me is a little piece of heaven and I just love her photography and stories! I stumbled upon her blog looking for information on Texasware bowls, and I keep coming back for more!

And finally, a shout out to MySweetCreations - I've been an admirer of her photography and talent with all things sweet over on Allrecipes, and I'm so happy she decided to start a blog of her own. You'll like it, too!

Since I never know what to do with awards, I'm also breaking the rules a bit! So please accept these awards - pass them on if you like, play along if you feel like it, but just know that I wanted to give you a shout out because I enjoy your blogs! ,I think you're supposed to share seven things about yourself...but what don't you know about me?

1.) I own a noisy blender
2.) Nearly all of my food photos are taken in the bay window of my living room
3.) I often wonder if Gene Simmons (if it was him) ever thinks of that weird girl he saw at Logan Airport circa 1979...
4.) I want to own a farm some day...meanwhile, I'm keeping Baker Creek Seeds in business with my insanity.
5.) I'm still looking for a Texasware bowl to replace the one that broke several years ago
6.) I haven't set foot in an antique shop in almost five years (the perils of having a four and a half year old!)
7.) We had Martha shaved down yesterday because her coat was just incredibly matted....If I can stop laughing at her long enough, I'll post some pictures soon!

Happy Sunday, everyone!





10 comments:

Bella Della said...

How sweet of you! Thank you so, so much. So happy to know that you enjoy my little piece of the blog world. I promise to come back and explore yours.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

xo,
Kim
BellaDella

angeltastic said...

Thanks for the mention. Hmmm for some odd reason, I have that song "Beth" in my head. ;)
Biscuts and chocolate gravey. That sounds YUMMY!!

Willoughby said...

The pancakes look really good. I don't think I've ever made that recipe, but I've made Oatmeal Pancakes from AR, before. LTH recommended them and they were superb!

Did you have a little too much to drink at my cocktail party? We hardly noticed you slurring your word at all (ahem!). Thanks for the shout out!

Congrats on your awards! I'll be stopping by to check out the blogs you listed (when I'm done cussing out this #%^$@! computer!).

Chicago Mom said...

I haven't made pancakes in SO long; must do that next weekend!
Why are kitchen appliances so noisy? :)

ChristineM said...

Willoughby, I would never admit to wearing green corduroy pants, a KISS t-shirt and ridiculously high heeled clogs if I was sober! LOL! ;)

thrasherswife said...

Oh how I wish I could have been in your house for those pancakes - YUM!!!!!

Anonymous said...

oooh those pancakes look awesome!!! I really need to make then asap :)

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

The pancakes sound sooo good. I'm thinking those may be breakfast tomorrow...

Joanna Jenkins said...

Congrats on your awards!

Your pancakes look amazing! I might have to try them next weekend although "chocolate gravy" is calling my name too :-)

I'm always looking for certain pieces of depression glass, pottery and China that broke in the 1994 earthquake. One of these days/years I'll find my most cherished pieces. If I come across a stash of Texasware bowls, I'll holler.

Hope you have a great week,
jj

Lissaloo said...

Yum!
Those pancakes look fabulous!
Do they make mute-ers for blenders? Maybe they should :)