Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Two Minute Breakfast Sandwich

Over the years, I've learned a lot about nutrition - not that I always practice what I preach, but I do know what I should be doing! One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to have a decent breakfast. But on those busy days (I call them weekdays...), "decent breakfast" and "getting to work on time" don't always add up. It's all too easy to succumb to a quick bagel or muffin, or when you're real hungry, a drive-through breakfast sandwich.


During a successful stint with Weight Watchers (I lost 16 lbs in three months!) I came upon what has become not only one of my healthier breakfast choices, but one of my favorites: The Two Minute Breakfast Sandwich. It was a result of my making a list of those 1-point foods. With the right choices, this sandwich is 4 points! 5 points, max. Here's what you'll need:

Two Minute Breakfast Sandwich:
1 veggie sausage patty
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 slice low-fat or fat-free cheese
1 "1-point" bread, English muffin, bagel, roll

These Thomas' Light Multi-Grain English Muffins are one of my favorites - about 110 calories but 8g of fiber per muffin. Other good choices are Weight Watchers breads items (usually 1 point for two slices), Country Kitchen Light breads, sandwich rolls. Around here, Stop & Shop brand light bagels are also one point. All of these bread items are high in fiber, have less than 1.5g fat, and run anywhere from 80 to 110 calories, and most importantly, they taste good!

I'm using Weight Watchers brand cheese - 1 point per slice. Some other cheeses may be two points, but in the grand scheme of things that ain't bad! Just go for low fat if you can.

I love veggie sausage patties...but not on their own. In a sandwich though, they work, adding substance, flavor and protein. If I need a change though, Oscar Mayer Canadian Bacon slices are 1 point for TWO SLICES! And you'll probably only need one.

I start out by coating a bowl or saucer with one squirt of cooking spray and rubbing it around so the egg substitute doesn't stick. Pour 1/4 cup egg substitute in the bowl and wrap a frozen sausage patty in a paper towel. Then...

...place both in the microwave. Microwave on high 1 minute, 30 seconds. The sausage will probably need another 30 seconds on it's own. Meanwhile, pop your choice of bread, bagel or English Muffin into the toaster, and it should be done before the timer goes off.


I like a little spray butter on my English Muffins - those high fiber breads can get kind of dry.

When I was on WW, spray butter substitutes were "free" if you stuck within the realm of the serving size, but just in case you're like my friend, Tracy, who pours the stuff out, 15 or 20 squirts will cost you to 1 point. Good to keep in mind when you're spraying that bowl of air-popped popcorn! ;)

On your toasted English muffin, layer the egg substitute...

...sausage patty (I like to slice mine in half)...

...and cheese.

And that's it!

If you can't eat it right away, just wrap in aluminum foil and this will stay warm - I have a half hour commute, and my sandwich is still pleasantly warm by the time I dig in!


Lots of variations make this a favorite of mine...adding a little vegetables wouldn't hurt either, so think about saving some sauteed peppers or mushrooms in the fridge, or even using some leftover broccoli to make an "omelet" type sandwich.

Enjoy your day!

No comments: